From Dynamics GP to D365 BC
From Dynamics GP to D365 BC – Planning for GP Migration Success
In this blog, we outline some of the considerations when migrating from Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central. If you are a GP User, it is most likely that you may have concerns around risk, costs and change management when considering a move to the cloud.
Read on to see why moving from GP to D365 BC online will enable significant ROI on a GP to BC Migration – greater efficiency and productivity, optimised workflows and processes and seamless integration with other familiar Microsoft products such as Office 365, Power BI, SharePoint, OneDrive and more. Watch the Microsoft Video Series to see how these two Solutions compare…
Do some of the following questions sound familiar?
- Is your current GP solution impacting your business growth potential…
- Are you missing out on the significant benefits of a cloud based ERP Solution…
- You may have other solutions running in the cloud – are you being held back by legacy / on-premise solutions…
- Is now the time to bring it all together and host all your business solutions in the cloud…and fully embrace the era of digital transformation…
When considering a move from on-premise solution Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) to Cloud-based Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, it is worth focusing on some key factors such as:
- Assess Your Current end-to-end Business Environment – Many businesses may not be fully aware of the entire scope of their ERP’s uses and specifications – and this is why having an effective migration strategy will help you avoid any unforeseen pitfalls during any migration process.
- Identify all the Business Risks and Requirements – a good migration roadmap is critical in helping you to identify all the key requirements to as to ensure for a seamless, cost-effective and fast migration.
So, Why should I migrate my business from Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central?
In today’s ever-evolving business world, making the move to the right digital transformation platform is key to business success – enabling you to increase productivity across the business with the right ERP Platform.
Microsoft is continuously working to improve the capabilities and features of their ERP software solutions and migrating from Dynamics GP on-premise to the cloud with Dynamics 365 Business Central will also enable you to increase your ability to optimise your business processes, services & operations.
Reduce Your Costs – Dynamics 365 Business Central will help to ensure that your business is always protected and secured with Microsoft Cloud – enabling you to reduce the costs of maintenance, with Microsoft managing your infrastructure on your behalf.
With Dynamics 365 Business Central working as a hybrid cloud, your data will automatically be uploaded to the cloud from on-premise to replicate and bring the cloud abilities to your business.
Deliver Built-in Intelligence with PowerBI – Transform your business with real-time reporting & analysis. This will enable you to get real time insights, along with the modern look and feel of Business Central will enable users to take advantage of Dynamics 365 Business Central’s powerful dashboards.
Enhanced Updates – With Dynamics GP and D365 Business Central, you get major updates every six months – and for those businesses that need something more focused on change management – Dynamics 365 Business Central provides sandbox options that allow you to test changes and upgrade patching, along with the other Microsoft updates release.
Greater efficiencies with Office 365 Integration – By choosing Dynamics 365 Business Central cloud software solution – enables you to access a whole host of other familiar Microsoft applications such as OneDrive, Teams, SharePoint, Power BI and more. These Microsoft tools bring further value-add enabling you to improve company-wide collaboration and optimise workflows and processes.
Take control of your business – Dynamics 365 Business Central works seamlessly with other devices – such as tablets, phone or PC, enabling you to access the data which really matters, anywhere, anytime.
Dynamics 365 BC comes with automatic monthly updates and two key updates annually. It also removes the expense associated with the upgrade services clients are used to paying for. Total cost of ownership is easily achieved through the ROI which the D365 BC technology investment will bring.
- An assisted setup guide in Business Central can help you migrate data from Dynamics GP. You can migrate data from Dynamics GP 2015 and later versions of Dynamics GP. For more information – see System requirements.
- Automated D365 BC Cloud updates – all D365 BC and cloud updates are automatically applied. Overall, these processes are way more automated and streamlined than what GP users may be used to with GP updates.
- Fast and easy migration – Microsoft has created the migration tool for applicable clients to enable them to move their GP data to Business Central in the cloud. Microsoft has created this systematic process that does all the migration and all the data mapping for you to easily access the D365 BC ERP Cloud Solution.
Some Key benefit highlights of migrating from DGP to D365 BC:
- Remote access
- integrated workflows
- Simplified maintenance & automated updates
- Greater Security with the Cloud
- Reduced capital expenditure through subscription bundle pricing options and reduced TCO over on-premise based Microsoft Dynamics solutions.
- Deeper real-time Business Insights
- Easy integration to other familiar Microsoft Applications
- Deliver company-wide digital transformation initiatives
- D365 BC is a powerful ERP Solution which meets the needs of all types of Business, Industry & Verticals.
GP to D365 BC Migration Resources:
To help you get a better understanding of the real benefits and what is involved in this migration – check out the Resources below.
Migrate Dynamics GP Data to the Cloud – The end-to-end process is described HERE. In this article, Microsoft talk about background information and other areas to take into consideration.
See it for yourself – Compare Work Processes in Dynamics GP to Business Central:
Moving to Business Central from Dynamics GP may seem somewhat daunting and to help Users quickly become productive, Microsoft have produced a number of videos that demystify the migration experience! by explaining the differences and similarities in work processes.
GP to D365 BC Video Series – Watch the videos to compare how easy the processes are in D365 BC compared to GP!
- Enter receivables transactions – This video compares the process of entering receivables transactions in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Pay vendors – This video compares the process of paying vendors in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Enter payables transactions – This video compares the process of entering payables transactions in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Enter customer cash receipts – This video compares the process of entering customer cash receipts in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Set up segments and dimensions – This video compares the process of setting up segments and dimensions in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Create dimension transactions and reports – This video compares the process of creating transactions for dimensions and using them in reports in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Use classes and templates – This video compares the process of setting up classes and templates in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Use general journal entries – This video compares the process of using general journals in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Correct and reverse entries – This video compares the process of correcting and reversing entries in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Run trial balance and aging reports – This video compares the process of running trial balance and aging reports in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video
- Use posting accounts – This video compares the process of using posting accounts in Dynamics GP and Business Central – watch video